Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, November 29, 2004

5 Days, 1859.4 Miles

My calculated 779.3 mile roundtrip vacation to Arkansas turned into a 1,859.4 miles detour which took me through Arkansas, Oklahoma, North, Central and South Texas with another slight detour into Laredo.

Wednesday morning I woke up 30 minutes late. I quickly showered and then rushed to pack 2 mountain bikes, water, Pepsi, Vanilla Diet Coke, a bag of Tootsie Rolls and my clothes onto the back of my 2001 White Dodge Ram pick up truck. 30 minutes later the road trip was on. Destination : the Ozark Mountains in the northwestern part of Arkansas. My Mapquest maps calculated the trip taking 6 hours and 59 minutes. I figured it would take me 6 hours. I got there in 5 ½ hours. Our log cabin home for the next two days was amazing.

Friday morning I woke up and realized I really wanted to be in McAllen for a number of reasons. I wanted to visit the familia, go to a friend’s wedding in Laredo, and also crash a party while I was in Laredo. But you say that’s 903.8 miles away? Not a problem. I took off at 9 in the morning after eating a healthy breakfast. I stopped in Dallas for an hour to shower and eat and then I was again headed South. I got home to McAllen at about 11:30 that night. I was making plans to go out that night but instead I just hung with the folks. I was way too tired to go out, plus I was eating some damn good tamales.

The next day I went to eat breakfast with my parents, got my haircut at some old school barber’s and made my way to Laredo. That’s about 3 hours away from McAllen. That night I went to a wedding, a party, and a torna boda. I was asleep by 4am. The friend I took to the wedding with me got kicked out because he was wasted. Pinche Borracho, para pasar verguenzas.

2 Comments:

Blogger v.h. said...

hero!

10:45 AM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

That certainly sounds like a lot of fun.

Torna boda, it has been a while since I heard that expression.

8:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home