Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Organic Milk

My mom flipped through a newspaper ad while talking about who knows what. She looked at the milk section and says, "Ah, esta es la leche que compro Cesar."

So, of course I look. Cesar is my little brother. He's a hippie (like most of the readers here - I would imagine). He moved to the East Coast when he graduated high school. My cousin bought him a baseball cap that said "Brown Pride" with a little cholo on it - because he was going to "Brown University." I digress. Now the kids in law school and he's still a hippie.

I guess he bought some organic milk when he won't home and I laughed. My mom asked me what organic milk was. The best way I could figure out how to explain it was to tell her that it was like milk from the rancho. Is that right? Basically, I told her, the don't screw w/ the cows.

Then she told me how when she was growing up, the neighbor kid Silvano, would run up to the cows, grab a tit, and squirt milk into his mouth. That was his breakfast. I said, yup, I think that's organic milk.

6 Comments:

Blogger under the red sky said...

It's an utter not a tit..lol...what is it with rancheritas...my mom loves fresh milk with "nata." Yucko, Yucko!

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Lucio Rodriguez said...

It's milk derived from a cow that has not been injected with steroids, antibiotics, or anything not produced by the cow's 'organic' being.
Soy Milk's the way to go...
By the way; all cow milk contains a little bit of pus and a little bit of blood. Provecho!

8:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cow milk? Hippies still drink animal milk? In my house, it's soy or rice milk only!

12:45 PM

 
Blogger la maestra said...

i don't know about drinking nata straight, but enchiladas de nata are the best! and yeah, you're way behind, hippies stopped drinking organic milk a couple years back, it's all about the soy milk now. but i think you can get that organic, too.

7:31 PM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

All those steroids and antibiotics are YUMMY...just kidding too gross. I say the dairy industry is in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies to make folks sick so you get stuck by the cancer meds....

8:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organic milk is expensive marketing huey! Milk from organic cows is chemically, nutritionally and by all other measures exactly the same -- except it's about 100% more expensive. According to the New York Times over 70% of all organic milk comes from just 5 mega-farms from mega corporations like Horizon Organic and Organic Valley. And are sold at anti-union, job-busting companies like Whole Foods Markets.

Despite popular myth, organic cows are injected with animal health drugs like vaccines (for which we should all be thankful), they are injected with hormones like prostaglandin and oxytocin, etc... and most organic cows are sired through artificial insemination involving antibiotics... Oh, and they use a wide-range of "natural" chemical pesticides which are equally, if not moreso, toxic to their non-organic counterparts.

There is a great Web site call http://www.milkismilk.com and a corresponding Blog at http://www.milkismilk.com/blog.htm which addresses this.

2:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home