Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Don't Cry! Are You Hungry? Not Any More.

I'm not sure which on of you fellow bloggers had a picture of a woman breast feeding her kid while she met the President of her respective country, but it came to mind today.

I'm filling out some forms for this 82 year old woman accompanied by her grandaughter, when the young girl decides she's going to breast feed her kid. Now, I'm no prude, but damn, that was freakin' weird. The young girl just took it out, right there, about 2 feet from me. The only thing between me and her was the desk.

I know a lot of you commented that it was a great and natural thing to do, but damn, I'll tell you, I was still surprised. I didn't even pay attention to it after about 30 seconds, but it did stun me. The kid stopped crying, so I guess that's good. And I reckon' good for her that she's comfortable enough to do so. I won't lie though - it was weird for me. Maybe that's something I should work on.

Things to do: don't be surprsied when a woman breast feeds next to you.

10 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:58 PM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

I, Culture Kitchen, and LP all posted the picture.

That is really cool that you are addressing the issue. I think the shocking thing for most people is that we aren't used to (in some respects) seeing a woman's breast or nipple.

For example no one pays too much attention during a day time drama when a man might be gardening without his shirt on, or his nipple is showing while he lies in bed, or during some fear factor when men are in their swim trunks. We are just very used to seeing it, and not so much with women breast feeding which in my so very humble opinion is too bad because more women should (if they can) breast feed their children.

5:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

while i support that women should breastfeed their children for all the benefits that come with it, i have to admit that it would throw me off if something like that were to happen. a warning might have helped.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger denise said...

As many times as I've seen a bare tit pop out for feedin' time, it still bugs the hell outta me. Living in hippie capitals like Austin and Seattle doesn't help.

Breatfeeding is one of those rare cases where I'm all for modesty.
-denise

12:41 PM

 
Blogger Manda said...

You know, I have a cousin that has 5 children...and all five were breast fed. Needless to say, by the time her 5th child came along her breasts were rather uh...voluptuous? lol. Anyway, she still had no problem just poppin' it out there and feeding her baby. Of course, my family is crazy and always made jokes about it, but they always..always respected the fact that she could feed her child the healthiest way possible. Her youngest child is now in second grade, and she hasn't had any since. I think it's awesome...but I also believe that there are ways to do this privately.

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Julio Sueco said...

I think it is one of those permanent things. Here in Sweden I see it a lot, on the train, on the on school, in public spaces and I still get shocked everytime. The surprise never changes. However, I think that the duration of the shock has become less and less over time. Perhaps am geting used to being surprised everytime.

7:11 PM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

I can tell you grew up in the USA, he he he...

Blame it on Disney and the grown up couples sleeping in separate beds.

3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all for breastfeeding, but if you HAVE to do it in public at least cover up with a blanket or something. I do not wanna see your boob while i'm having dinner at a restaurant. It takes 2 seconds to cover up so just do it.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

What is wrong with all of you? Why should a women cover herself up because it makes you feel uncomfortable? It is okay for you to put food in your mouth at a restaurant but not a baby? Dear lord, I am shocked at how conservative all of you (except Blex) are.

11:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breastfeeding is the very best thing a woman can do for her baby, herself, and the future of our whole world.

Regretably, we live in societies that have hoplessly sexualized a part of the human body intended to feed and nurture an infant and child. It is deplorable that a woman should be made to feel ashamed and deviant and guilty for something so natural and beneficial.

6:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home