Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Law On The Border - The Larger Problem

A State District Court from the Valley killed himself yesterday. 46 year old Judge Edward Aparicio was found with a gunshot to the head. He left behind 5 boys and his wife.

There are many rumors flying around as to why the Judge killed himself. What is known is that last year the FBI raided his home. The judge was the target of an investigation into allegations that he had taking bribes. It's a pretty interesting, but sad story.

This case reminds me of when I was a reporter in Laredo. I covered the corruption trial (i was a t.v. reporter, so no links to my stories) of several men with ties to the district attorney's father. Most of the men, including the DA's father, brother, cousins, and several assistant district attorneys were convicted.

I guess the question that comes to mind here is: Is there that much corruption along the border? Are only Mexican-Americans committing these crimes?

I don't know. I don't know if Raza in office go crazy or if it's that they're not as careful. I've seen cases like this in Dallas and other big cities, but not to this extent. We can make arguments for/against crooks everywhere. We can site Nixon, Clinton, and even Bush. (I threw Clinton in to the mix to please(sp?), my Republican friends)

Is it that gringo politicos are more careful or they just don't get caught? I don't know. Maybe, I pay more attention to cases like this because they are from home. Is it that the feds are all gringos and the politicos getting caught, mostly raza? (these allegations were raised many times during the laredo trial).

One person I talked to about this mentioned that he believes this is due to the the compadre system we seem to follow down there. We exchange favors - and nothing is thought of it. I think it's a beautiful thing in certain circumstances, but it can get out of hand. Who knows? I really don't know the answer to any of these questions. I just know this poor man felt he needed to end his life. That sucks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alma said...

I remember Judge Aparicio. Wow. And I think I told you I lived in Laredo briefly - there was certainly a lot of "chueco" stuff going on at the time. A certain State Rep. comes to mind - he was know to throw lavish parties and his preference for hot young men.

12:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

i don't think corruption in any position of power knows a color or race--its just a human trait present in all of us and stronger in some. but i also think that there are more gringos in power positions and that is why they might not be getting caught.

several latino politicians in chicago have been caught in corruption scandals--there were two or three that resulted in the 'silver-shovel case'. and some of the better politicians have been forced from their positions through other methods such as fixed elections.

1:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ola, mis hermanos y hermans Tejanos ... You know almost everyone gives a statement ... ques es verdad. I live here en McAllen... Yo conoci al juez...

Puero saben que, no es que no saben como ha serle...the thing is all in who you know y quien eres. Take our county district clerk Paulin Gonzalez...esta Sra. por anos nos robo...but when arrested and indiated...que paso...por que estaba enferma y de edad...they did not proceed with anything else. You know eso no pasa con uno de pobre... si pescan an uno de nostoros...enfermo or no ... they arrest you, indiate you and if your jury or judge finds you guilty...a la pinta... Second ... take el sheriff del condado hidalgo... este ...se saco la daga... drug, lavando dinero, prostitution...y mas... lo mandaron al un pinta en la florida, y su familia...would go around talking about the sheriff Brig...que jugaba golfo... y eso...????? Todos se tapan con la misma colcha ... oh and lets not for get our Attorney General Sr. Dan Morales...no podia ver a nuestra raza...y el que es??? hasta luego ...!

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

The Judge's death must be really hard on his wife and kids. What a shame. I have to agree with Cracked Chancla that corruption is a human trait in all races. In Mexico it is more visible and living in the city that I live in it's pretty obvious which gringos have a hand in the pot but those crazy city officials "se hacen de la vista gorda..."

9:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WAS A CASUALTY OF JUDGE APARICIO'S GREED AND CORRUPTION. HE WAS A COWARD. HE USED HIS OFFICE FOR PERSONAL GAIN. HIS ACTIONS AND DECISIONS REFLECT ON ALL OF US CHICANOS AND ALL PEOPLE OF HONOR

12:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home