Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, April 11, 2005

LAY-A-WAY

My friend told me she put something on lay-a-way the other day, but made me swear I wouldn't tell anyone. She was embarrased. When we were kids we always knew where the lay-a-way counter was. It was part of life. My mom would go to the store, find some clothes for us, then put it on lay-a-way. She didn't have a credit card and she didn't have the cash, so why not make payments on it.

I hadn't thought of that concept in a very long time until my friend brought it up. There used to be a story in McAllen called Anthony's. That's where my mom would do all of our shopping. We had shorts on lay-a-way, shoes, shirts, pants (husky for my brother, slim for me), and anything else we needed. I know she would go in and give $10 or $20 every week, until we got our stuff. It just seems like such a hassle though, but I think most places don't charge you any interest, so it's better than a credit card. I'm not sure what the terms are now.

However, I'd rather use my credit card, which award me points now. No lay-a-way plan for me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love to read your comments daily...keep it up. What do you think about this lowrider in the 'burbs' ?

1:17 PM

 
Blogger under the red sky said...

ah man..husky...what's up with that? the memories..lol

11:26 PM

 
Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

When I was a kid, by this time of the year, my mom already had a swimming pool on lay-a-way for me. We had an Anthony's too, that's where my bro would get his clothes.

7:15 AM

 
Blogger artdiva said...

yeah, credit cards definitely killed layaway. but the good thing was you didn't have to worry about going into debt! fyi, you don't have to be brown to put stuff on layaway... my guero family waited in line at the layaway counter most times we went shopping. Winn's and Kmart usually.

7:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home