Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, June 20, 2005

Cholo Word of the Day - Mochate

Surprise. Mochate is a common term. Mochar literally means to cut. Mochate used as slang can mean several different things and I'll try to illustrate them. The word can stand alone or be used in a phrase "se mocho."

Word:
Mochate

Meaning According To DT:
give me some, let me, share

When used in a phrase "se mocho" can mean "he shared" or "she put out." Actually, it's probably more than just putting out.

Used in a sentence:
"Orejas, mochate con la feria porque tengo que hacer buy un t.v."

"Nombre Pepe, no traigo ni pa el gas, pero si se mocha tu ruca, maybe we can work out una deal."

Translation according to DT:
"Large ears, please be so kind as to give me the funds owed because I would like to buy TIVO."

"Let me apologize in advance Joseph, I'm running so low on money right now that I don't even have enough for fuel. But, if your lady in waiting would like to accompany me to the movies, we might be able to work something out."

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The translations are funny. I hadn't heard this in a while, have definitely used the term in the past.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger Fehnix said...

That was great.

6:55 AM

 
Blogger JJ said...

Been reading DT for about 2 months now and had to comment - this was a great one. I'm a big fan of your cholo word of the day, brings back some good memories. I am originally from Portland - your weather is better than mine right now!

8:50 AM

 
Blogger V said...

I love your blog! I teach in Dallas at a school that is 97% Hispanic, and I have learned lots of Spanish from my students and parents already, but man is this helpful. :)

5:06 PM

 
Blogger Ana said...

Los! I can't believe I found you randomly! I just spent 2 hours devouring your blog...I've known you since...well you know how long y como quiera me inspiras siempre que me acuerdo de ti. Te mando un beso del Valle by way of Dallas!

11:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Cindylu--the direct translations are so funny. Love it! From: raquel@chicanasontheverge.com

9:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding my blog- you had a list of Spanish nicknames a while back that I found through Google, and I steal from it constantly when I name characters in my fiction writing. So it was awesome to see your name in my comments. I'm a regular reader. :)

(And how is it that you started law school in the summertime?)

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Mando1448 said...

Lmfao. The translations for the most part are completely wrong. Even the spanglish doesn't sound right. I live along the US Mexican border where slang and spanglish are common. Poor translation.

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Mochate..means.
..to give something you have up..what ever they are asking you for..money,sex,whatever you got..they want it!


7:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard mochate (with accent on the first syllable) use in southern Mexico to mean "get high" or "hit the joint" (imperative). This was in the 70's.

9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home