Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Listen And You Will Find

My brother and I quickly found out that we could tell how much Raza was in a specific town by scanning the dial for Spanish-language radio stations. We figured the more stations the more raza. Chingado, the only place we couldn't find a station was for about 1 hour leaving Califas and entering Oregon (it was also difficult to get English stations in the Mountains, so that may have been the problem). We would find a station and listen to the mostly annoying d.j.:

ESTE SABADO, ESTE SABADO, EN EL GUERRERO'S BALLROOM, LOS TERMINARIOS DE CHIHUAHUA!!! ESTE SABADO, DAMAS GRATIS antes de las 8, ESTE SABADO, ALLI NOS VEMOS. ESTE SABADO!!!

How can we possibly think this guy sounds good? And it's like they clone them, because they're the same from Texas, to Arizona, thru Califas, and into Guashinton.

We drove through Arizona where we saw a sign welcoming the locos from The Minuteman Project.

We drove through the desert and the mountains where not even vultures hover over. My brother and I wondered how the hell raza crossed throgh there? It's insane. The drive was hot, lonely, deserted - can you imagine what a multi-day walk with no water feels like?

Most of my family on my mom's side crossed through Califas, but back then they used to cross through some tunnels underground. By tunnels, I imagine they mean sewer systems. I need to get some clarification on that next time I see them.

There is raza everywhere. I've talked to a couple of Mexicanos in Seattle. According to them, there are a lot, but I think we have different criteria. There are no FM spanish radio stations in Seattle and maybe one 24 hours station on AM. There are 4 that I have found total that play Spanish music part of the day. The girl at the restaurant who wrote down the stations for me told me which one she thought was the best, then made a face when she pointed at the last one and said:

"Esa es mas para los Chilangos."

We laughed.

She says: "oh, Ustedes son Chilangos?"

We said: "No"

Then she smiled and brought us some free chips and salsa.

Update: I found a spanish FM station tonight.

5 Comments:

Blogger La Madre said...

hmmm you can't do the radio thing in ohio. there are huge pockets of raza in ohio and only 3 radio stations in spanish in the whole state.

9:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, dude. glad to see you made it safely and are getting settled in. maybe we can get together for lunch next time i'm in seattle. good luck.

7:33 AM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

Waiting for more Seattle pix. I can't believe I'm not going to the national theatre conference in Seattle...

6:04 PM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

How many radio stations in Spanish do we have where I live?

Non, Zilch, Cero, Zero, Nada, Nyet.

9:10 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

well, we have a good number of stations in chicago, but whenever i drive through texas the first thing i do is look for the spanish tejano stations--i imagine you will be missing them.

7:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home