Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Married Man's Best Friend

Yup, that's me. Everywhere I go I happen to be the married man's best friend. Why, you ask? Because wives trust me. Why, you ask? Because my married friends can say that they stayed out all night, because I didn't want to go home. I don't mind. I'm their outlet. They're not doing anything wrong. Believe it or not, I have a conscience and I make sure they do too. Plus, my friends are of good character.

Tonight, my class had a function at the Washington State Bar and afterwards we decided to go grab some drinks. I have a married friend and I was his ride. He's pretty cool. He invites me over to his house, his wife cooks, and I play with their kids. Last weekend I went with them to a soccer game. Bien buena gente.

Today, we hit the town after the event and stayed out not so late, but apparently late for a married man. We got to his place at about 11:30pm, but made sure to stop by Wendy's before we got to his house. It would "soften the blow."

"She'll ignore me tomorrow until 3p.m. and then when we get to my brother's BBQ, she'll talk to me." Dude, she's going to hate me. "She's not going to hate you." She opens the door because my friend doesn't have a key. I have a couple of burgers in my hand. "It's not his fault." She semi-smiles at me and I feel akward. She walks upstairs and we eat our burgers.

Back in McAllen, the same thing. My married friend and I (different dude of course) went out to another friend's house. We stayed a good while and I was ready to go home at about 2a.m. He wasn't. The next morning, "hey dude, I was at your house till 5a.m." Me: "Uh, ok."

One year later the wife walks up to me and tells me: "I don't like it when he hangs out w/ you because you're a bad influence." Little does she know I'm anti-strip clubs, I rarely drink, I don't do drugs, I have a conscience, and I hate to spend cash. I take the abuse and smile.

That seems to be me. I'm the married man's best friend. I'm 28 and they can blame it on me. To tell you the truth, I don't mind. My friends are good guys. They're not doing anything wrong other than not going home at the time they're supposed to. It sucks, but it happens. I think it keeps them sane. That's the way it is and I'll continue to be that guy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm, as a wife and a woman (most of us have keen intuition) i think i would know quien esta sonsacando a quien. maybe these wives are letting you squirm for kicks.

8:15 AM

 
Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

I have a feeling if Dan the Man was single, he'd be the same. I let him have free reign and he doesn't go out.

5:45 PM

 
Blogger Xolo said...

My wife pushes me to meet people and go out. I agree - our marriage is probably stronger when we both feel that we are free to pursue our respective interests and social lives.

It sounds like there are other issues going on in those marriages.

7:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could you take my viejo out for a night? I trust you.

6:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your friend is going to mess around, believe me, he will do it without letting anyone know - including you. There is nothing wrong with a couple of guys going out (I believe you mentioned before on a "Man Date"?) and checking out the scene. There is always a price to pay, and in your friend's case a little bit of the silent treatment...but she'll get over it. Everyone needs "breathing room" to let off steam and allow for self-reflection. By a woman/man being cool with this really makes a gal/guy appreciate what she/he has at home.

11:55 AM

 
Blogger klaus said...

Because of this, you must give serious attention to the most acceptable strategy or attitude to adopt after it has been determined that relationship counseling cincinnati is essential. The last thing you want to happen is for one spouse to have the attitude of just going along for the ride while the other partner seems to be the one driving the decision.

3:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home