Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Como Si Nada

El Dies y Seis de Septiembre came and went, like nothing. There was no mention of the day on t.v., in the newspapers, by kids around school, or even at the restaurants that usually use these Mexican Holidays to capitalize on selling more Margaritas. I was kinda bummed.

I was bummed, not because I have ever "celebrated" or even attended any functions related to 16 de Septiembre, other than checking out the grito on t.v., but because NOBODY made any mention of it anywhere. I tell you Dorothy, I'm not longer in Texas.

The one thing I always do try to do, is like previously mentioned, is check out the grito on t.v. Really, I like watching the music performances and the people gathering before the event takes place. It's pretty cool.

I've been fortunate enough to visit Dolores Hidalgo and learn about some history before then, pero me aguite un poco.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Art of Brownsville said...

I learning to say this more often about our Mexican heritage...it truly is a beautiful thing. Como me dijo mi Chicano art professor, "Tienes el nopal en la frente girl. So show it!"

So yeah, I bet if not one made any mention of such an important holiday, I would feel a bit empty too. When I read your reference about Dolores Hidalgo it reminded me of my travels to Mexico and my heart skipped with Mexican pride. Your post moved me Carlos. Go find yourself a Mexican and give them a hug!

4:30 AM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

yo te mando unos gritos ¿vale? ¡VIVA! ¡VIVA! ¡VIVA!

10:11 AM

 
Blogger AnalisaGuzman said...

Lila was here in Chicago with el Mariachi Perla but I missed her. *sniff*

6:43 PM

 
Blogger Adri said...

I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing this year. :( luckily, my fellow blogeros y blogeras provided enough gritos for me to compensate ;)

7:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home