Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Saturday, February 18, 2006

A Day In Court & The Mexican Comes Out

Well, not a real court. My law school competition partner, Canadian Rob and I, participated in our first Moot Court competition last night. It was a blast. We didn't have much time to prepare, but it was fun to get feedback. We go into these competitions (we've done several Dispute Resolution competitions) with the understanding that we probably won't win (we have an understanding that we'll only prepare as much as won't take away from other priorities), but as a platform for learning. You would think Canadian Rob was a Mexican with how laid back he is.

So, here's the deal. My Mexicano-ness came out last night and I've been noticing it's been creeping in during classes too. I pronounced two words in a familiar, but distinctive way, during my closing arguments: Cheating, I pronounced "Sheeting"; and Precarious, I pronounced "Pricarious."

Now, I'm wondering if I'm only noticing that this is happening now. I think I've mentioned before that I never thought I had that strong of an accent, however, even my friends from Texas told me I did. Could they be right? I was on t.v. for crying out loud. I never noticied myself pronouncing words like that then. Maybe I was more conscious of how I spoke back then, since I was working with my voice everyday?

Nonetheless, I thought it was pretty funny that I pronounced those words like that. It made me laugh (inside, considering that I was giving my closing argument) and probably made me more comfortable as well.

Now I'm off to work on my memo. I don't want to have to sheet (my physics teacher in h.s. would have pronounced it "shit") to get a good grade.

5 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

i read this post out loud to my roommate and we were both cracking up. our mexicanness is what makes us es-special. ;)

4:17 PM

 
Blogger john_homan said...

Those of us on the other side struggle with our accents also. I still struggle trying to accent the right syllables, and I can't pronounce moraleje to save my life.

What always makes me laugh is when my Spanish teachers make fun of my accent when their English accent is as bad as my Spanish accent.

-John

7:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with jennifer. .i love it when my mexican comes out at work. . .i just smile and tell everyone to go ahead and laugh, then i pause, and continue. . lol

it happens to my dad all the time. . just the other day he ordered a side of "baked sqoowash" LOL!

9:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when you left me a voice mail while I was living down in Monterrey? I don't think I had ever heard anyone speak such American-sounding English and such Mexican-sounding Spanish before in my life.

4:06 PM

 
Blogger Daily Texican said...

yea, that thing you did was pretty cool.

7:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home