Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ay Dios, The Politics (and Politicos) of South Texas

Has it really been 4 years since I last posted on this blog? Hijuesu (or Ahijuesu) (or ay huesu) (or quien sabe)? I guess the primary reason that I can't believe that I stopped blogging is because there is so much good material from which to choose in South Texas. A quick rundown of things that have happened since I've been down here in the RGV again (since 2008): Cameron County DA Armando Villalobos gets 13 years in prison for corruption. His cohorts include State District Court Judge Abel Limas (6 years) and attorney Abel Marchan who committed suicide after having been convicted. I don't question whether these were good men before all of this mess. I don't know them but I think the number of people that they had standing by them shows that they were good people in general. They just did something very wrong. Closer to home in Hidalgo County everyone knows what The Panama Unit did. This all leads me to my point. Our mágico valle deserves better. No es por nada pero da vergüenza. I'm ashamed that we have to be associated with this because we deserve better. The raza that I grew up with works hard y también le gusta pachangiar. We give respect pero lo pedimos también. I love seeing that our judges, mayors, state elected officials, police chiefs, etc. are casi Chicanos or hispanics, but I hate seeing them fall - and fall hard they do. I'd like to say that it's as easy as going to the polls and voting good people in. It's not. We vote good people in and bad things happen. Somehow we need to teach ourselves again that we are good people. Not just good people - great people. We are humble and proud. We can be quiet and loud. Pero por dios we need to walk a straighter line. I only write about my culture because that's what I know. I understand that corruption or bad acts is not culturally or ethnically specific. Corruption does not distinguish between socio economic status or region of the country. I'm not crazy man Attorney General and Republican Gubernatorial Greg Abbott thinking that there's no hope for us down here (referring to the RGV as "third world"). Corruption is possible everywhere and in everything - so I guess we need to do better as human beings - but again, I challenge my local community to do better as people who share a common culture (the valley).

13 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee Schillinger said...

Hey Sorry to crash you post, but didn't see another way to get in touch with you.

I’m a flabby middle-aged white woman from po-dunk Arkansas who has created a baseball-themed app for scoring presidential debates. It’s called PRESIDENTIAL DEBATEBALL.

DEBATEBALL is hands-down the best idea in debate apps on the app shelf. Guaranteed or your money back. (But did I mention it’s a free app?) It’s already been featured on Social Times and Huffington Post!

Call fouls, strikes, base hits and home runs for each candidate response, and the app’s scoreboard tallies the runs, and batting average, for your game and all Debateball players nationwide.

Share your score on social media, compare to Facebook friends’ scores and more!
Neat, huh? Will you please help me get the word out about DEBATEBALL? Besides being fun and engaging, DEBATEBALL actually requires the user to think about what the candidates are saying. And we reeeeally need that to happen in Election 2016.
The app is free in iTunes and Google Play with a one-time in-app purchase to unlock some scoreboard features. Learn more about DEBATEBALL; view the online press kit then please let me know if you give DEBATEBALL a nod so I can tout it through all my social media channels.

Very much appreciate your time!
Donna Schillinger

7:47 PM

 
Blogger Ashley Nicole said...

Great content indeed.
Very Useful post.
Thanks for providing it

Panchang | Hindu Calendar
Malware Removal Tool

4:20 AM

 
Blogger شركات خدمات منزلية said...


شركة الصفرات لرش المبيدات بالرياض

8:45 AM

 
Blogger RCM Packers said...

RCM moving company is available all the time for the users help so contact with RCM team and easily relocate. It provides many services and security.
Movers and Packers Koramangala Bangalore

3:48 AM

 
Blogger Baba Gyanchand said...

I think most people would agree with your article. I am going to bookmark this web site so I can come back and read more articles.
Read How to Wear Yellow Sapphire.

5:44 AM

 
Blogger Baba Gyanchand said...

This is a very well written post, my compliments. I’m glad to find your post. Keep sharing this type of stuff.
Read Full Shiv Tandav Strotram.

5:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice keep sharing!!!!

1:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UN PRESIDENT TIM KALEMKARIAN, US PRESIDENT TIM KALEMKARIAN, US SENATE TIM KALEMKARIAN, US HOUSE TIM KALEMKARIAN, US SUPREME COURT TIM KALEMKARIAN: BEST MAJOR CANDIDATE.

7:34 PM

 
Blogger AstroLaabh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:52 PM

 
Blogger AstroLaabh said...

There is a lot of information to learn here that is very useful to many

ask astrologer online

astrology report

11:54 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think most people would agree with your article.

fire safety product

12:14 AM

 
Blogger kirtipathak said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:13 AM

 
Blogger otisgabe said...

just stumbled upon this blog in 2024, I'm Mexican from nogales, Arizona. I strive to get closer to my culture and love this blog. Its like finding a old relative cool stories about his past. I don't want to say I got white washed but things got lost in translation when I learned in English in school. I never got the chance to grow with my culture so im working backwards. I hope the daily texan se le paso muy bein y que vien machine. sale vale!

12:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home